The amount of research that I have done on the power of an ePortfolio has been extremely eye opening. I had the chance to read a very insightful article by Karen Barnstable.
I have attached the link as well. https://kbarnstable.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/41-benefits-of-an-eportfolio/
Barnstable categorized and explained a multitude of benefits that ePortfolio’s can have on student, staff and professionals in the Education field and even corporate companies. A few of the reasons that immediately stood out to me were:
- Students will develop their own personal goals for learning.
- Students’ learning will take on a new depth through the reflection process.
- Students will learn and begin to practice a process that will be used in life long and life wide learning pursuits.
- Students will have have direction for career planning.
- Students will have a concrete way of showcasing strengths to teachers or future employers.
- Students will have the opportunity to explore more fully who they are and what they know and can do.
- Employees will refresh their skills in documenting lifelong learning experiences. This allows them to bring all of their learning to their daily job challenges.
- Employees will have a record of personal learning with documents that prove formal and informal learning. This results in a definite boost of confidence.
- Employees will be able to “showcase” their best work and share examples easily and comfortably with each other. A community of sharing ideas and best practices will be developed within the company.
- Employees will be able to demonstrate professional growth and show a commitment to continued learning. They will have evidence for a requested transfer or promotion.
I really appreciated how Barnstable included the benefits that ePortfolio’s have on not only students, but also Employees in various fields. I personally would like to use my ePortfolio to record and measure my own growth as a young professional. I want my future employers to have access to my accomplishments and achievements over time.