This course taught me a lot about digital citizenship and how we can be better humans when in a virtual world. Technology is now a part of our everyday lives and when we are utilizing it, it is important to know how to be safe and responsible. Because we are using the internet to engage and connect with others, there are certain rules that should be followed as technology evolves. It was interesting to know about 9 themes of digital citizenship. I actually changed the language and went over the theme with my students. I had to make the language student friendly of course.
- Access: full electronic participation in society.
- Commerce: electronic buying and selling of goods.
- Communication: electronic exchange of information.
- Literacy: process of teaching and learning about technology and the use of technology.
- Etiquette: electronic standards of conduct or procedure.
- Law: electronic responsibility for actions and deeds.
- Rights & Responsibilities: those freedoms extended to everyone in a digital world.
- Health & Wellness: physical and psychological well-being in a digital technology world.
- Security (self-protection): electronic precautions to guarantee safety.
My biggest accomplishment in the course is gaining more knowledge and how to be a better citizen online. I also learned the importance of knowing our online digital footprint. I actually took the time to research my first and last name on multiple search engines. Of course, the information I found was educational and business-related, so I was quite pleased to see the results. I was actually afraid that my proceeding divorce would appear, but luckily it did not.
This topic connects with what my students and I are doing every day because we are always using technology. We are also always using different online platforms to communicate with each other. In the course I was taught how to bring awareness to issues that could possibly appear in the virtual world. The most useful piece of information I learned in this course has to be digital footprints and how they can affect future employment. As I continue to grow and learn I want to be able to have more possible job opportunities.
The entire Masters Program has been helping me grow as a leader. I have been learning how to utilize more technology resources in my class. I have also been trying to teach other staff members the things that I have been learning. I really enjoyed the discussion posts and collaborating with other colleagues. To get the most out of the course it is important to keep up with assignments and be thorough with the work we complete. Have integrity and be intentional with the work we are involved in.